Nav Bar

About     ♦   Foraging     ♦   Backpacking     ♦   Trail Food    ♦   Wild@Home    ♦    Links    ♦   Demeter's Wild @ Home Store

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Section Hiking the Appalachian Trail - Amy and Penny's Amazing Appalachian Trail Hike (Introduction)

For almost 15 years I read about the Appalachian Trail and dreamed of the adventure of a lifetime. 11 years ago I did the math and knew my youngest would be out of college, so decided 2021 was my year to hike. I originally planned on through hiking, but realized this isn't for me.

Firstly, the pandemic and life in general is preventing me from through hiking. I am a nurse in a hospital, and I am an essential employee in the setting of a pandemic combined with a terrible nursing shortage. Taking off six months to meander along the trail while my fellow nurses are drowning in the trenches makes my heart sad. However, my intentions aren't altogether altruistic. As the saying goes, I gotta make hay while the sun shines. Taking off six months when I have the potential to maximize my earnings is cool for anyone doing so, but just doesn't make sense for me. I do want to retire one day...

Secondly, I tend to get bored with the trail after a couple weeks. Hiking is a pure joy for me. Sleeping outside whenever I see an inviting forest glen or a spectacular view that begs me to hang my hammock so I may witness a breathtaking sunrise is absolutely liberating!! Hiking for weeks on end just seems more like a job than a fun thing to do.

Lastly, I miss my family too much. My husband. My grand baby. I just can't...

Last year, one of my hiking buddies asked me to show her how to backpack. For anyone who is unfamiliar with sleeping outdoors and carrying everything you need to survive on your back for days at a time, this may sound easy. Trust me - it's a lot harder than it sounds.

Backpacking the Appalachian Trail Maryland
Penny with backpack #1, AT in MD

We originally planned on starting June 2020 in Georgia, hiking north one two-week section at a time. Lockdowns on travel and resources all over the world changed our plan to local backpacking. We spent several trips exploring the AT within 3 hours of our homes, including the 42 miles across Maryland in 100* temps in 2 1/2 days. Penny played with her new gear, and decided to trade in a couple new purchases for more new purchases. Like her hammock, her tarp, her backpack, her sleeping bag. By the time we started the trail, I think Penny replaced everything but her stove and titanium cup! Man, she loves that cup :-)


Hammock backpacking Dolly Sods Wilderness
Penny with her new Hennessy Hammock in Dolly Sods

So this week is the start of realizing another bucket list hike for me. Penny and I left for Hiawassee Georgia. After 12 hours of driving, and a stop at Hiawassee Brew for some great local beer and a fabulous burger, we stayed at Hostel Around the Bend (previously Top of Georgia Hostel). Located east of Hiawassee, HATB is 0.6 miles from the AT crossing of Dick's Creek Gap. Recently renovated, this place is a very clean and peaceful respite from the town. 




Section Hiking Appalachian Trail Georgia Gear
All of this needs to fit into my Backpack!




One week of backpacking food
One week of food for the Trail


Appalachian Trail Hostel around the bend
Penny packing for the Appalachian Trail at Hostel Around the Bend

3 comments :