Nav Bar

About     ♦   Foraging     ♦   Backpacking     ♦   Trail Food    ♦   Wild@Home    ♦    Links    ♦   Demeter's Wild @ Home Store

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Seneca Creek / Spruce Knob Backcountry - WV Winter Backpacking

This is a trip that I did with the meetup group DC Backpackers. I love hiking and backpacking with the group, as the people are easy going and fun.

I have visited the Spruce Knob area on an earlier backpacking trip in the late spring, but this was my second hardcore winter backpacking trip, and definitely the coldest.  The temps at the trailhead when we started hiking Friday was 6*.  The temp Friday night hit -3*.  Saturday was a beautiful day, with temps of 30's for a high, and 15* for a low. 

Our hike in was a fairly easy 3.5 miles, with half the miles going straight up to the ridge, and the other half going down the valley to the creek and the campsite.

This video was actually all shot with my cell phone, a Galaxy S3, because the cold killed my camera battery very quickly.  I am really surprised it turned out as well as it did.

1 comment :

  1. Nice job!

    I've backpacked Seneca Creek many years ago...both times in the Summer but I love winter backpacking so thought I might give it a go this 2016/2017 season. My memory is terrible...I just recall starting from the summit and hiking down to the creek...is that the way you all went?

    Also, do you have a route/map of your trip?


    Thanks!

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete